Thursday 27 September 2012

Fundraising- harder than it sounds!

In my future career, I'd love to work for a charity.
 Teasing money out of working people's pockets for good causes is definitely a worthwhile way to spend your life, as far as I'm concerned. It benefits everyone- the charities through raising awareness and furthering their work, and it gives the sponsors something to feel good about.


However, people only like to give their hard-earned cash away to something they feel is a worthy cause, especially when economically times are hard. Which is why fundraising is having to become more dynamic and adventurous- people like to see that they are getting something for their money too, whether it is a fantastic event or concert, a world record breaking attempt or just something they haven't seen before. 

Everyone has sponsored a run or a cycle- so it's up to fundraisers to come up with something innovative and interesting.
I've always noticed that the charities that get the most attention in the media or at music festivals are actively giving something back to their supporters, whether this is with free stuff at stalls (stuff that people will actually find useful like a blanket or a hat, rather than a logo pen), or through actual human interaction on a personal level.


This is my challenge as I attempt to fundraise a large sum of money for my gap year. I need to get out there and get to know my supporters so they feel connected with my cause. After all, while this is my gap year and a great experience for me, I'll ultimately be helping vulnerable communities that need volunteers.



My ideas so far include getting my (rather small) local community involved in an event, such as a themed night at the local pub, as this will be a great way to emotionally connect my potential sponsors with the communities I'll be helping abroad. 



If you are feeling inspired to donate, send me a message and we can have a chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment